What is blood pressure?
Blood pressure is the measurement of the pressure in your blood vessels. Blood pressure is expressed as two measurements, the lowest (diastolic) is the background pressure and the highest number (systolic) is the increased pressure that results from the beating of the heart.
Why control high blood pressure?
High blood pressure is sometimes called the “silent killer” because there are no symptoms associated with it. People can have very high blood pressure and not know that they are damaging their heart, other organs, and blood vessels.
Untreated high blood pressure can lead to:
- Congestive heart failure
- Heart attack
- Kidney damage
- Erectile dysfunction
- Vision loss
The cost of high blood pressure
In the United States, high blood pressure costs around $93.5 billion dollars in combined medications, health care services, and missed days of work.
- About 30 percent of adult Americans have high blood pressure.
- Another 30 percent of Americans have prehypertension, which increases the risk of developing high blood pressure in the future.
- Over 70 percent of people who have their first heart attack or stroke have high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure is the number one risk factor for stroke, the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States.
What can I do to control blood pressure?
Studies show that people who get their high blood pressure under control reduce their risk of stroke by at least 50 percent and significantly lower their risk of heart disease and cardiovascular mortality. Here is what you can do:
- Lifestyle: It is now easy to check your own blood pressure with a home blood pressure cuff. You should know and track your numbers. Make sure you are eating a healthy diet, maintain a healthy weight with Shaklee 180, exercise, avoiding smoking, and, if you consume alcohol, drink responsibly in moderation.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): Shaklee CoQHeart
100 mg of CoQ10 has been shown to help lower blood pressure in clinical studies. i
- Fish Oil: Shaklee Ultra-pure, pharmaceutical-grade OmegaGuard (save an additional 10% when included in monthly supplement order).
3,000 milligrams or more of omega-3 fish oil has been shown to help lower blood pressure. ii
- Garlic: Shaklee Garlic Complex
1,000 milligrams of garlic extract has been shown to help lower blood pressure. iii
|i||Rosenfeldt FL, Haas SJ, Krum H, Hadj A, et al. Coenzyme Q10 in the treatment of hypertension: a meta-analysis of the clinical trials. J Hum Hypertens. 2007 Apr;21(4):297-306. PMID: 17287847.|
|ii||Geleijnse JM, Giltay EJ, Grobbee DE, et al. Blood pressure response to fish oil supplementation: metaregression analysis of randomized trials. J Hypertens. 2002 Aug;20(8):1493-9. PMID: 12172309.|
|iii||Ried K, Frank OR, Stocks NP, Fakler P, Sullivan T. Effect of garlic on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2008 Jun 16;8:13. PMID: 18554422.|